| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Oak Ice Box info and suggestions?

Posted By: dvd <dvd_94@yahoo.com> (maxtnt02-110.ewrnj.fast.net)
Date: 12/6/3 19:18

I have acquired an old icebox that appears very original and very much complete. It had been stripped of the finish and stored in a basement for years -- and yet it has held up quite well, considering. I will just need to glue the "slats" to re-assemble one of the doors and glue and "clamp" the top to reduce the slight gaps between the boards (white glue okay for this??) My questions:

(1) the paper inside the "ice chamber" states it was made by the Tennessee Furniture Company (Chattanooga). (medium sized box, rated at 48#s) My search on the web did not help in determing its age or any other history about this piece of furniture or the company. I'd be interested to see when this piece was made. (it has thin tongue-groove slats in the back that do not appear to be oak as the rest is; the box is lined with galvanized steel??; there is a metal drain line, rolled)

(2) Although ice boxes are a "dime a dozen" I feel I want to do this piece of Americana justice and try to only use materials that would have been used during its period---e.g. no polyurethenes, please. What materials and methods would you suggest to keep this an authentic restoration and bring out its natural patina and the retain the look of antiquity?

Thanks!

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.