| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Finish for Oak

Posted By: Daron Devenish <daron@devenish.co.uk> (deegee.force9.co.uk)
Date: 11/25/3 13:54

I've been given an old (not antique) cutlery canteen which was in an appaling state (interior ripped out, scratched surface etc.).

I have removed the old finish (which was also in an appalling state) using methylated spirits. This has revealed a beautiful oak cabinet which I intend to turn into a cigar humidor. The oak colour in general is a lovely deep red (I suspect remains of the previous finish). However I 'experimented' with some vinegar (having read other articles) and this has resulted (to the area in which it was applied) in a loss of the red colour (being replaced by a washed out grey). I presume this is because the vinegar has reacted with the tannin.

My questions are therefore:

1. I'm intending to use an oil finish for this cabinet? Is this finish suitable for Oak?

2. Will the oil (Danish oil) return the colour to the washed out area?

Any help would be appreciated before I make my next mistake! - it's not an important piece so no historical loss but it would be nice to have a finish I could be proud of.

Many thanks

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.