| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

old side chair-ebony finish-goldleaf figures

Posted By: Laurie Bobskill <swmargaree@excite.com> (h0004bdc54a7b.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: 11/14/3 21:36

I've come into possession of an old chair that I would like to clean up and perhaps restore a bit. Its shape is fiddleback (Chippendale? Queen Anne) and I believe the legs to be oak or a similar grain--don't know about the rest. It has a dull black finish overall and has Oriental figures of people and water scenes in gold leaf applied over that. The black does appear in areas to have once been similar to a satin finish. Anyway the black has worn in some friction areas. It appears to have once taken a squarish cushion which must have been built up on a wooden base because there is a depth of about 2 inches that the seat would drop into. I have cleaned a lot of the dirt (it was in a barn) from it with just damp rags. I would like to restore black to the worn areas and perhaps even give it some kind of a rubbed finish. Can anyone help? I have been told by various people that the piece is either "ebonized" or "japanned" but I'm not sure they knew much more than I. Best, Laurie B

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.