| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Bookcase door panel - to flip or not to flip?

Posted By: Steven S. <glassdarkly@worldnet.att.net> (217.dallas-07rh15rt-tx.dial-access.att.net)
Date: 11/1/3 04:57

I've got an old Lundstrom stackable bookcase (about 1917). One of the panel doors, instead of being the usual framed glass, is wood - a three panel arrangement. Each of the three panels in the door can be removed by merely removing some tack-nailed strips from the inside of the door. The panels themselves are some sort of wood core, with veneer on both surfaces, but only the outside surface is stained and finished.

I mention this because one of the panels has a pretty noticeable scratch on it. It occurs to me that rather than try to repair the scratch, I could remove all three panels, finish their previously unfinished inside veneer surfaces with some sort of color-matched stain, and try to achieve the original dull finish. As difficult and tricky as this might be, it still seems less magical somehow than trying to fix the scratch.

What I'm wondering is whether this would decrease the value of the piece in any way. Is this sort of manipulation frowned upon? Would I be better off to try to somehow touch up the scratch?

(If it isn't obvious, I'm not at all expert on any of this stuff.}

Thanks Steve

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.