| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: veneer repair

Posted By: Benton Ham <bbham@bellsouth.net> (ifitl-61-140-195.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: 10/31/3 07:58

In Response To: veneer repair (Penny Long)

Penny, I've found the following works for me.

First, purchase an inexpensive packet of artist brushes. Second, if you're using a liquid stain, dip into the bottom of the container with a paint stirring paddle and get a small glob of the pigment. Use the artist brush to "paint" the filler with some of the glob.

Apply in the same direction as the grain of the surrounding veneer. Don't apply too heavy and don't wipe away. Repeat as necessary to get the color and shade that you want.

This method is called "glazing" and is very forgiving if you mess up. Merely wipe away the stain with a cloth dampened with mineral spirits and try again. With a little practice, you can make the filler look pretty good. Don't forget to clean the brush from time-to-time.

I don't recommend this method for large areas of filler. (It tends to get streaky.) Replace the missing veneer in this case.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.