| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

heritage door help ?

Posted By: Mike <mike@hadden.ca> (px2wh.vc.shawcable.net)
Date: 10/11/3 19:35

This is my 2nd post here , got so frustrated with restoring this door thought I would do a search online and see if some help could be had. Ok what Im working on is what I've been told is one side of a french door from a heritage home , a very old heritage home actually , I mooched this thing from a buddy of mine who was going to toss it , it will ( if I ever get it done) make a nice door for my office ( beats the hell out of the standard home depot one) , I've managed to get most of the 4 layers of harder n' hell paint off of the from but it has glass inserts top to bottom of the door , the glass is seperated by wooden latice or cross's ( sorry I'm new so not sure what the term is ) , these cross's have a pattern to them , and the folks that painted the door over the year have managed to pound one hell of alot of paint into them , I have spent the last 2 days with a dremel tool and a wire brush bit , it works but is also screwing up the patterns at the same time , I have also used 2 different types of paint stripper on it , 1860 and one other one , both have had literally bugger all for effect , well sort of the 1860 made the top layer gooey and almost impossible to get off now , and thats the top layer only ! , I have used a stripper in the past thats available from a local store in my area , its an aluminium aircraft paint stripper but Im worried that it will etch the glass , I know that it will strip the paint but worried that it may be a little harsh . Anyhow if anyone has any advice or suggestions that they could pass my way I would really apprecaite it

cheers Mike

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.