| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Stubborn Finish

Posted By: Charlie <CLatowsky@verizon.net> (pool-141-154-74-87.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: 9/23/3 07:20

I've been refinishing for 25 years and never ran into a finish this stubborn.

I'm working on a Chinese chest, at least a hundred (maybe more) years old. It's made of gorgeous elm with hammered brass hardware. The top and front have been refinished previously and the finish (lacquer) and stain came off fairly easily.

However, the sides, various spots on the doors, and under the hardware are finished with something that has resisted every stripper in my arsenal. It's a deep purple, almost black color (probably finish and stain mixed) and even a scraper doesn't get it all from the grain or low spots. The piece is badly scarred but I don't want to sand it at all if I can help it. Its also got a similar material used as a filler in the gaps and low spots.

I'm planning on staining it dark to match the original color, but I'd like the wonderful grain to be visible.

Any one have an idea what this might be and how I can remove it? It may be something used by the Chinese years ago. Any help would be gladly received.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.