| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Having a fit with shellac!

Posted By: Maureen (d209.as5.clev.oh.voyager.net)
Date: 9/15/3 22:16

Hi, I'm having a lot of problems with shellac on an antique dining table. The table was in pretty rotten condition when I inherited it...LOTS and LOTS of wax buildup, water stains, hot iron marks, gouges, etc. I worked for DAYS to clean off the gunk with naptha and a mineral spirit-based hand cleaner and steel wool. There was a lot of stuff that came off! I thought I had most of it off, since I knew the original finish was shellac and I was starting to see high gloss shine coming back. I wanted to recoat it with shellac, so I bought shellac in flakes, mixed up a 2 pound cut, and started to apply it. Three coats later, I'm so frustrated I don't know what to do. In some areas, the finish looks spectacular! Smooth as glass, high gloss, soft to the touch. In other areas, it's streaky, almost gritty feeling and far from high gloss...more of a matte finish. I did lots of reading before I tackled this project, and I think I did everything right. Can you give me insight into where this streaky stuff is coming from, and what can I do to rescue the table? Thanks!

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.