| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Rusted and Chipped Enamel Table Top

Posted By: James Schooley <jschooleyfamily@earthlink.net> (pmspen1-170.rconnect.com)
Date: 7/17/3 00:06

In Response To: Rusted and Chipped Enamel Table Top (Janelle)

I have repaired these chips with a slow cure epoxy. The actual name is T88 and it is avaible at boat repair shops. I use a small amount of color tint intended for this product. Mix the color at no more than 10% of total volume using some black if needed to tone down the white, then take a small amount and add to the hardner. Now add this to the same amount of the resin and mix well. You have about twenty minutes to use this and it will not harden for several hours. It will harden shiney and can be polished after drying for a couple days, use a flat block and water and wet/dry 600 grit sand paper. After the surface is level continue to sand with finer wet/dry paper till you get to 1000 grit or finer if you can find it and feel it is needed. As for the rust, I would use tooth paste if the areas are small, if not brasso should work.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.