| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Stain and methods

Posted By: Rick (cache-ntc-ab09.proxy.aol.com)
Date: 5/27/3 18:21

I'm trying to find out what was used (including the method), to base stain furniture in the 18XX's to the 1920's. I recently found a chair from this time frame that had 5 to 6 coats of shabby chic paint. Under all of this paint was the original finish (alomst black) which could not be saved. My qusetion comes in at this point, the chair is stripped to the wood and there is a dark red stain / dye on the wood that will not come off unless sanded (I tried a small area). The chair construction is mixed woods, the legs are ash, the seat rails are oak, the arms are solid mahogany and the back is lumber core with mahogany veneer. All of the peices were stained or dyed with this deep red color prior to the application of the final (alomst black) finish. I have run into this before with other mixed wood furniture mainly walnut veneer lumbercore and ash legs that were stained / dyed dark brown. Thank you for any information. -- Rick

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.