| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

restoring mahogany end / coffee tables

Posted By: Maryanne <crhmelh@nycap.rr.com> (alb-24-195-201-137.nycap.rr.com)
Date: 5/26/3 23:37

I am just getting "into" antiques and have, up until now, purchased things that were quite "pristine" and did not need any help. However, today, I purchased a mahogany coffee table and end tables (both with leather tops) that need some work. The style is exactly what we want, and the price was right, but they have "nicks" and "chips" (not deep - more "finish damage"). Basically, the finish is damaged in various spots. However, I like the color of the finish, as well as its "toned down" appearance. I would love to do it myself, as I do not have much invested and enjoy doing things like this. I would prefer not to completely strip the pieces but rather restain the areas that need it and somehow "clean up" the rest. The leather tops also need some "sprucing up" but are in decent condition. Do you have any suggestions as to a process I might use to apply stain to the areas that need it (or do I apply the stain all over). Do I need to clean it in any particular way first? Do I have to strip down the existing finish at all first? Do I need to put any finish coat on it, or is the stain enough? Please be specific on products that I should use (brands, etc.). I have enjoyed reading this sight. Thanks in advance!

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.