| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

spots on a cedar chest

Posted By: leon <lsalmi@sbcglobal.net> (adsl-68-75-163-144.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: 5/26/3 16:03

I came upon this all cedar blanket chest at a flea market. It needed a lot of tlc. The apron around the bottom was broken and pieces were missing. the part that had been mended was mended poorly. Opted to replace the skirt and strip and refinish the piece. Also the piece is decorated with copper bands and tacks. I was told it dates to the 1920's. I am not new to stripping and refinishing wood but I came accross a problem I have never dealt with before. After the finish was totally removed the sides of the chest developed blackish spots throughout. The front and back were not affected. these spot are along the whole side and not just where the copper edges or handles are. Any help in determining what these are and if they can be removed. I did try a small amount of wood bleach in an out of the way spot without much luck

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.