| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Restoring Pine top table for kitchen use

Posted By: James Schooley <jschooleyfamily@earthlink.net> (pmspen1-138.rconnect.com)
Date: 5/19/3 09:53

In Response To: Restoring Pine top table for kitchen use (Kate)

First the table you need would be formica topped. Second the toaster is out, the heat most toasters can generate, unless I am not aware of some new design, will burn any finish and also quite possibly the wood as well. The toughest finish, regardless of what the labels may promote is OIL BASE VARNISH, hands down. Plus the varnish can be recoated and repaired and can be polished. An oil finish will do but it will need frequent maintaince, I have this on my old pine countertop, my toaster has burned it, and I am oiling and waxing it several times a year. I don't mind it, you may want the maintance free boat finish I suggested befor, OIL BASE VARNISH, with a dewaxed shellac sealer. Sanding needs to be started with 120 grit, if you use an electric sander resand with a block sander to take out the scratshes, final sand with 150 grit, now you are deadt to stain if you wish, and choose a finish.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.