| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Protecting an antique table

Posted By: James Schooley <jschooleyfamily@earthlink.net> (pmspen1-117.rconnect.com)
Date: 5/6/3 00:17

In Response To: Re: Protecting an antique table (Jim Cole)

steve I hope you did not think the "lie" remark was aimed in your direction. My comment was to call to task the assertions and misinformation of the coatings industry that claims the poly type finishes are impervious to water and will "last longer than other finishes". The question is which finish, wax? "Impervious to water", the finish sorta, but the wood still gets wet underneath the finish. Or a "harder finish", however what wood needs is a flexible finish that streaches as the wood contracts and expands. When I see poly coated finishes that have dried out and faded in the sun and are flaking off after just six years it makes me sad for the consumers who thought they were doing the best thing for their furniture. If you are very lucky all you will get from these folks is the price of the original can of finish, too little too late.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.