| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Protecting an antique table

Posted By: JAMES SCHOOLEY <jschooleyfamily@earthlink.net> (pmspen1-49.rconnect.com)
Date: 5/4/3 13:13

In Response To: Re: Protecting an antique table (steve amato)

Stop right there steve! Poly is not even close to proper restoration of an antique finish, it is polymerized cow urine, the slaughter industry practicaly gives the stuff away so the profit is tremendious, and allows for great advertising programs to promote the stuff. Don't believe any of the claims they are all hipe, poly is less flexible and cracks easily, allowing moisture to migrate under and lift the finish. Next it dries to a hard plastic film that can't be recoated after a month, and can't be easily touched-up. The furniture industry tried the stuff and abandoned it quickly, why, because they can't repair it and it didn't hold up, won't polish, and it can't handle direct sunlight for long periods of time. Do I dislike poly finishes, no I just hate to see people lied to and putting it on an antique will result in ruining the antique because stripping it is very difficult and may require belt sanding, no more antique patina. And by the way, varnish was never used on antiques, unless it was a boat. I suggest cleaning with naptha and a soft cotton rag, next white vinegar ang paper towels till the finish squeeks under your wet finger tips, recoating with the original shellac would be best, then after a few days smooth out with 0000 steel wool and use a good tolulene free wax, with carnuba in it. Repeat as needed and you will have the same finish that lasted for 100 years and as much use as modern familys can deliver. No offense but I can't let people go on thinking poly is as good as the original Shellac, which has held up 100 years with a finish that might last 35.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.