| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Old desk

Posted By: Kevin S <kevinps62@hotmail.com> (C714470E.state.nj.us)
Date: 3/31/3 11:21

Greetings: I'm a newbie working on an old slant top desk, looking for advice. Here's a link to some pictures of the piece. The last 3 photos are before shots, the first bunch are where I am now.

http://community.webshots.com/album/68115490lsgSfY

The original finish looked to be shellac, which had been painted over with green paint which gathered into big lumps on the sides. It was in terrible condition so I stripped it. There's some staining on the oak, as you can see in the pictures. The surface is marred up, but that adds character as far as I'm concerned. 1)I am wondering whether I should bleach the surface or not to get rid of the stains (oxalic acid?) ; 2) On a couple other small projects I simply stained the piece with minwax stain, then a few coats of Fiddes wax. I like the look but is there a coating that should go on between the wood stain and wax to improve durability while not resulting in being too shiny? 3) Any advice on product for repairing the holes in it, or just leave it rustic? 4) Anyone venture a guess as to the age of this piece? It's 35 inches wide and the only marking is "Trademark B.O.T."

So, with my limited finishing repertoire I would normally just stain it (what color I'm not sure) and coat it with wax. It's certainly an easy route to take. But I am open to alternatives if anyone has a suggestion for this rustic piece. Thank you. Kevin

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.