| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Ambient Air Cleaners

Posted By: James Schooley <jschooleyfamily@earthlink.net> (pmspen1-110.rconnect.com)
Date: 3/23/3 12:09

In Response To: Re: Ambient Air Cleaners (Tom Dew)

Sorry I can't remember the wood shop mag. where I saw the plans for the dust filter using a squirl cage fan, but I can tell you what I did to make one. First I went to furnace repair shop and they let me pick out a furnace fan, five bucks for one with a good motor. Check to see that the belt is good and that the bearings turn smoothly. Some of these are really big, you don't want to over do it or you won't be able to keep tools on the wall any more. Look at the size of the fan drum to tell how much air it will move. The medium sized ones are about right for a 1000 sq. ft. room. I have one in my sanding room that has a 10" drum and in that 30'x 36' room it is almost too much and could use a baffel to break up the air blast from the exhaust, but I like the way it does my dusting for me at the same time. I choose a fan that was boxed in tin still, most are not and may need to have a plywood box built to surround the fan and hold the filters. Select the size filters that will work for your needs, and make the box accordingly. If you want to build it into a table base you can use any common size filters you wish. I was able to remove the metal panels so that I now have a three filter cleaner, about 3 sq. ft. of filter in each, (this really cleans the air fast) total 9 sq. ft., I use the pleated ones with a cheep pre filter I can toss, but the pleated ones can be cleaned a few times before trashing. Next I built a cart on which to roll the fan around so that I can place it where ever I need to remove dust from the air. You may wish to hang the filter fan over head, that is a good place and in hot weather the flood of air is very welcome. A good switch, and grounded cable, and you have it.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.