| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: veneer replacement on a antique clock

Posted By: James Schooley <jschooleyfamily@earthlink.net> (pmspen1-11.rconnect.com)
Date: 2/20/3 20:02

In Response To: veneer replacement on a antique clock (Larry Twedt)

I would try to save all the original veneer that I could for this item, the rosewood will have oxidized from the sun light and that will be hard to match. I place paper packing tape over veneer to be removed, similar tape is sold just for this purpose, get the stuff without strings running through it. Once this is glued over the old veneer one can lift it with a little white vinegar in a squirt bottle and a long thin fellet knife. Once removed loosen the glue with more vinegar and press it in it's preordained shape to dry, ie; curved or flat, just so it won't go wild on you laying around. Ose all the materials as close to the original as possible, hide glue=hide glue, old oak trim=old oak trim, etc. The value will most likely be reduced with present day materials. Any substatutions should be descuised as well as can be achieved with in reason, at least those that show. After the veneer is back in place the paper tape will come loose with a little water, dry immediatly after the tape is off.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.