| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Repairing my great grandfathers wardrobe door

Posted By: James Schooley (pmspen1-143.rconnect.com)
Date: 2/20/3 00:56

In Response To: Re: Repairing my great grandfathers wardrobe door (Jim Cole)

Yes, the chared end of the match should be cleaned of loose material, but the ability of the Aspen wood used to make wood matches is classified very good. Compared to the stregnth found in the Lauan dowel rods most often sold in stores today is poor at best compared to the hardwood of the Aspen with is excelent classification to hold screws. The thing that leaves me wary of the dowel rod insert is the possibility that the glue will end up at the bottom of the hole and the surface of the dowel will not take hold to the existing wood. Also if one does find a Birch or Maple dowel rod it can easily split if not properly drilled befor threading in the screw. I did double blind tests with a torque wrench on regular wood and using my method and found no loss of stregnth with the match stick and glue method. Once more, I have had nothing but success with the wood match repair, and feel the ability of most DIY'ers is best served with the Aspen wood match and glue repair tecnique, but that is a decision for the repair person to make.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.