| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Maintenance

Posted By: James Schooley <jschooleyfamily@earthlink.net> (pmspen1-141.rconnect.com)
Date: 1/25/3 00:38

In Response To: Maintenance (Mark B.Krause)

Say Mark, I don't suppose you want to sell that stuff do you? Didn't think so, any way here is what I think you should do. Try to polish a remote location with some 0000 steel wool. Hopefully there is some finish that will take a shine under all that haze, if so locate some Rhotten Stone polish and Paffafin Oil. Put a little of both on a cotton rag an bring up a shine. Wipe off all the film and apply a paste wax, then buff up a shine. I feel from the pictures that these pieces were stripped and just stained, if so you will need to put on a good finish of Shellac, sanding lightly between coats, and rubbing the final coat with 0000 steel wool and then wax and buff a shine. If you are opposed to the Shellac then you could simply wax the whole works a couple times till it looks good to you. But protection is important to preserve the wood and that requires a finish I feel. good luck, James.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.