| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

dresser

Posted By: j duke <jduke@ebicom.net> (t2-69.EBICom.Net)
Date: 1/24/3 22:23

I recently did some work on an old (early 1900's) oak dresser top--approx. 1 1/4 inch thick, tiger stripe veneer. At some point in the past the lumber core had picked up a lot of moisture as the core had swelled to about 1/16 thicker than the vertical veneer edge banding. The old delamination of the veneer took place between the crossbanding and the core, there was a good bond between the face veneer and the crossbanding. I glued the loose crossbanding veneer down with Franklin titebond glue. There were still some areas in the center of the top where the veneer was not glued down, but the veneer was laying flat. I left this alone. --The top was refinished, looked good, everything was flat. The dresser was placed in the house in a heated environment and after two to three weeks the veneer in the center has buckled. There is a raised bubble located about six inches from the front edge running the length of the top that is raised about 3/8 inch. Any idea what happened. Did the core loose moisture at a faster rate than the veneer? Any thoughts on what I should do? How can i remove the veneer, part is glued with Titebond, part is glued with the original glue.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.