| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Maintenance

Posted By: Mark B.Krause <mkrause12@comcast.net> (pcp656472pcs.tallah01.fl.comcast.net)
Date: 1/18/3 12:44

I have a double bed and a large dresser with mirror. I do not know the age but feel that it is in excess of 100 yrs. It is constructed of solid circassian walnut and has a tremendous amount of carvings on the headboard and footboard. The pieces are very heavy.

The legs are solid square wood with what appears to be a lion foot on top of a lion foot.

The carvings on the center of the head and foot boards appear to be applique rather than carved out of the piece of wood that they reside on. There is what appears to be a leapord head that is the deepest. They are a very deep relief being about an 1 1/4" deep.

There are what I refer to as gorgoyles on the posts with long flowing tongues sticking out.

There are several of the solid boards on the bed that are split and several glued joints on the dresser that have seprated.

I do not plan to attempt to repair any of the split or separated peices but I do wish to maintain the surface. The finish is flat and does not appear to be a varnish or other hard finish. I cannot detect any odor as would come from an oil finish. I believe that it hase been many many years since anything has been applied to the surface. The surface is in good condition otherwise.

I would like to have a formula for maintaining the surface.

I do have photographs that can be sent via e-mail should that be of assistance.

Mark B. Krause

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.