| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Furniture Restoration

Posted By: James Schooley <jschooleyfamily@earthlink.net> (pmspen1-72.rconnect.com)
Date: 1/13/3 21:26

In Response To: Furniture Restoration (Douglas Cornell)

What you have described sounds like a disaster, I can't imagine how the finish could be restorable. I think you may need to refinish instead. Clean, if you wish, a spot right where the damage is worst using paint thinner and 0000 steel wool. Work with the grain, wiping off the loosened grime, when the finish is clean it will squeek under your finger tips. If you only get dull haze and bare spots in the finish you don't have a restorable finish. If you want to proceed, try a little shellac on a cleaned spot. If it makes a smooth even colored area you may be in luck. Let the shellac patch dry for one day, put a piece of stout masking tape right over the shellac patch, now remove the tape. If the new shellac pulls off with the tape then I think you will need to refinish, and it's time to strip off the old finish and start over. However if you are satisfied with the results then go ahead and clean the entire item with more steel wool and paint thinner. Using fresh shellac, put on a few new coats and light sand between coats with 320 grit sand paper. When you are pleased with the results polish with 0000 steel wool and wax to a satin luster, I hope.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.