| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: How do I fix "Alligatoring"

Posted By: James Schooley <jschooleyfamily@earthlink.net> (pmspen1-87.rconnect.com)
Date: 1/13/3 21:00

In Response To: How do I fix "Alligatoring" (Larry B)

The alligatoring is a combination of drying out due to over exposure to sun, age, and often a very thick application. Poorly formulated finishes will alligator sooner than a more highly refined finish. But the sun does the most of the damage as it, too soon, dries out the important chemicles that keep the finish flexable.

So now you know how to avoid the problem, next you must decide what to do with the finish at hand. Do you remove it and the antique value? You must decide, look at the age and origin of the item to decide this. If you don't care about that or if it won't change the value too drastically, get some GOOD stripper and have at it. Do not attempt to remove finish with sand paper as that way is folly, and you will hate yourself for it in the end.

If you are no chicken when it comes to tricky restorations you can use an amalgamator to soften clean and reapply the original finish. This is very hard to do well, if you have not seen it done and know little of finishing forget I even mentioned it. But if you are still not scared off, look to other messages on this site for amalgamation of finishes, and if you still want to proceed down that road, let me know. Good luck, James.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.