| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Restoring the top of an old farmhouse table

Posted By: James Schooley <jschooleyfamily@earthlink.net> (pmspen1-72.rconnect.com)
Date: 1/11/3 20:20

In Response To: Restoring the top of an old farmhouse table (Georgine Craig)

I think that what is happening to you table is that it is drying out and needs a little fresh oil and wax. Start with a danish oil such as Watco if color is missing this will act like a scratch cover. Choose the color that best suits your table. I would apply this with fine steel wool atleast three times, making shure to remove all excess oil after each coat. If splinters are still present you could wipe across grain for the most part finishing with the grain at the end of each coat. The idea is to leave it on long enough to get it deep into the wood. Thin the first coats with some naptha to aid in this reguard. Lastly put on some good wax, keep waxing until you can feel that a burnished effect is taking place. If after a couple coats of wax you are still getting splinters skip to sand paper and shellac to smooth it down and stick the fibers where the won't get into your hand. Avoid water and soap when cleaning a table with a finish (or on finish) such as this, I would use lemon oil instead.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.