| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Chest Cleanup

Posted By: Peter Dale <PeterCDale@wmconnect.com> (cache-mtc-ab06.proxy.aol.com)
Date: 1/4/3 03:01

In Response To: Chest Cleanup (Maritza Leon-Veiguela)

There are several good cleaners on the market, I would search around some of the other questions asked on this site for suggestions. If it were mine ,I'd first use mineral spirits also known as paint thinner/ brush cleaner .Smell isn't good but chances are you or a friend have a QT. or Gallon can around . If not its very cheap and available at Wal-Mart, K Mart or any hardware, doit your self store and paint shops.As far as the cloth lining, you may get away with a cleaner that is used for delicate fabrics or curtains. Check with a local fabric store or with a store that does dry cleaning inside. The problems with cleaning the cloth would be to much moisture which could cause the fabric to unglue. The other problem could be bleedthrough of color from under neath.If you feel the material is relatively new, like the last 25-50 years, you could probably treat it as if you were washing a cloth chair or even wallpaper. You may also get other better answers ,so hold off for a few days, but do leave the chest open to air it out and in sunlight if possible. Good Luck .Peter Dale

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.