| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Antique Steinway

Posted By: terry <t1941t@aol.com> (cache-rc05.proxy.aol.com)
Date: 12/31/2 00:39

In Response To: Antique Steinway (Tom Clapp)

this is a little late and you may be well into your project , but i'll throw this in anyway.first of all , i would not take the harp out of the body of the piano. i am making an assumption that this instrument is a grand model, and if that is so , the keyboard and the strikers are easily removed and the cavity is easily masked off. after the top is removed the harp can be masked off with a little patience.next, if i understand you correctly, the finish has oxidized and has parted from the surface, thus creating that white-cloudy look. the first thing i would strive for is to get clarity into the finish again, and an amalgamator would help to accomplish this.i use behlen's qualarenu (mohawk)alot to restore transparency to a variety of finishes. i would test an area first to make sure the finish responds properly.there is a line of premium shellac dye-based toners in aerosol form that might help you at woodfinishingsupplies.com.if you have to use a methelene chloride stripper for whatever reason,the stripper and the old finish come off 10 times better using denatured alcohol versus water. best of luck.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.