| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: mildew on antiques

Posted By: terry <t1941t@aol.com> (cache-rc05.proxy.aol.com)
Date: 12/30/2 23:16

In Response To: mildew on antiques (Cathy)

we occasionally get a piece for restoration that has mildew on it. I've had good luck washing the area with very warm water with clorox bleach (a cup to a gallon)and a little detergent added. Since you have put some lemon oil on the surface, it would probably be a good idea to wash the oil off with VMP Naptha first.A sponge is a good way to apply the bleach-detergent,and latex gloves are not a bad idea!It may take more than one application, so let it dry and inspect for residue. After the mildew is gone,I'd wash it with clear water and remove the bleach-detergent that's left on the surface and let dry. I am not a big fan of lemon oil for restoring a surface.In my shop, after we clean the surface of the antique with water and a little detergent,determine what finish is on the surface,make suitable repairs,touchup the piece,etc.,The piece is almost always given at least one coat of paste wax (KiWi, Liberon, and Johnsons are all good.)The wax should be applied in a thin coat,allowed to dry,then buffed with a soft cotton rag or towel.After a couple of days , we will wax the piece once more. good luck!

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.