| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: restoring blonde veneer dining set

Posted By: James Schooley <jschooleyfamily@earthlink.net> (pmspen1-30.rconnect.com)
Date: 12/30/2 03:26

In Response To: restoring blonde veneer dining set (kristi)

I for one don't see how you could hurt these ugly things, but believe you me, they can be a pain to strip. Usually they were made of good quality Oak/ Oak Veneer, but the white finish was part of a white grain filler tecnique that involved smearing plaster of paris all over the surface and sanding the top layer back off. then a white stain and lacquer was applied, some were just stained, but the plaster of paris ones are very hard to do right. You may have to scrub all that plaster out of the grain with fine brass brushes and alcohol. I had to knock each chair apart to get all the way into the corners, never again!

Painting works better, since they were lacquered you may clean, scuff sand, and paint with any good oil base or tinted lacquer top coat. That goes for crackle lacquer too, just remember, crackle lacquer can be less durable.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.