| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: 17 pieces

Posted By: James Schooley <jschooleyfamily@earthlink.net> (pmspen1-167.rconnect.com)
Date: 12/21/2 21:11

In Response To: Re: 17 pieces (James Schooley)

Oh yeah, there is a chance that these items were finished with shellac, put some alcohol on a cotton ball and rub it onto an out of the way spot for a minute. Now hold the cotton ball there a minute, if it sticks or smears the finish, you have shellac and should not recoat with varnish unless you want to put them outdoors in the weather. (And turn them into junk.) Also if the finish is flaking off already, skip everything I have said, take the sorriest piece to the carwash or to a pressure washer somewhere, and see if the old finish will wash off with high pressure. CAUTION, too much pressure can tear at the wood fibers and make this piece even uglier than befor. Use a fan spray pattern and dry it off completely immediatly after washing, avoid too much washing on the cane if possible. If you can remove all this finish this easily I will be very surprised, but it will mean that God does truly love you and you owe me a little kick-back for all the money you will save. Good luck, James.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.