| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: bed rail extenders

Posted By: James Schooley <jschooleyfamily@earthlink.net> (pmspen1-9.rconnect.com)
Date: 11/23/2 01:03

In Response To: Re: bed rail extenders (Jim Cole)

A long time ago the bed and matress producers got together and decided on a set of standard sizes, since everyone had their own set of sizes, alot of beds weren't enterchangable. As a result lots of folks soon discovered they couldn't find a replacement matress that would fit their old bed. This caused a lot of beautiful old beds to be thrown out, luckly some were put up in attics and they have started recirculating in recent years.

I mention this so that you will understand the signifacance when I explain the possible solution to your problem. One day a very old bed came into my shop for repair, as I examined the rails I was startled to find that they had been six inches smaller when new, but had since been subjected to the proverbial board streacher. A very clever craftsman had cut both rails from corner to corner legnthwise shifted them six inches along the cut and glued them back together. The result was so discrete that the grain change was impossible to see till I looked at the back side. So while this may not be the solution for you, it may work for someone and has hopefully enlightened one or two others, go figure!

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.