| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: color matching problem...dye stains?

Posted By: James Schooley <jschooleyfamily@earthlink.net> (pmspen1-142.rconnect.com)
Date: 11/2/2 14:28

In Response To: color matching problem...dye stains? (ken)

When ever I try to match new with old wood I first try to clean, bleach, strip or whatever I can do to produce the whitest possible background in the original wood, without loosing patins, Oxalic Acid works well here. Next try not to over smooth the new wood, 120 grit sanding for most woods. Test the stains you want to use and try to find a darker/lighter combination that allows you to patch according the demands of each piece of wood. so long as the stains are compatable or made from the same base ingredents.

I prefer to use NGR stains and Lacquer finishes so that I can easily glaze the color variations away, or add missing grain. Some glazes are now avaible for water base but I do not have experience with them, though I think the principles are the same. I put down a couple of seal coats and glaze in the corrections, then I put on the top coats. This is how the furniture industry does it and also the pros. If you need further direction write back, Jim.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.