| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Oak cupboard

Posted By: Jo Bonner <jbonner@cfo.usda.gov> (pool-133.sterling.gmutelework.com)
Date: 11/1/2 10:31

I've purchased an old cupboard at an auction and I am trying to restore it. (I'm new at this!) The front conists of two glass doors, a drawer, and two wooden doors at the bottom. A unique feature of the cabinet is that it is primarily held together with 15" metal rods/carriage bolts. Two of them are missing and I'm tring to find replacements. I've taken one down to the speciality hard ware store in the area and they don't have anything like that. The size is a #10 but the thread is neither american or metric. They are trying to locate it, but were not hopeful. In the meantime, I ran across this site and decided to see if anyone had a clue what this piece is and where I might find these rods?

In addition, the piece is designed to be dismantled. The back comes out in several panels that slide down the wooden corner pieces. We're considering gluing these panels together to provide some stability. The piece could still be dimantled, but the back would be solid in lieu of pieced. Would this be a bad idea?

Any assitance that can be provided would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.