| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Problem with sanding veneer to much

Posted By: James Schooley <jschooleyfamily@earthlink.net> (pmspen1-57.rconnect.com)
Date: 10/12/2 23:28

In Response To: Problem with sanding veneer to much (Jim Ross)

Sometimes I put a color patch between the layers of finish when there is a bare spot in the veneer. I like to use a finishing glaze that is avaible in good paint stores or on the web. It is a slow drying oil base paint that works with lacquer. Others are formulated to work with varnish. If you simply can't tolerate anything short of the missing wood, I suggest finding a matching piece of veneer, cut out a diamond shaped spot that runs in line with the grain. So as to be less obvious, next you will have to glue down a matched piece of veneer, sand and finish over the spot. BTW when I do this I like to make a template from masonite so that I get a perfect match between hole and patch. Or you could invest in a router guide bushing set that does virtually perfectly matched holes and patches. Hope this gets you out of hot water, Jim.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.