| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Late 1800's Walnut Dining Room Set

Posted By: Diane Donald <dianedonald@shaw.ca> (h24-76-195-6.va.shawcable.net)
Date: 10/3/2 23:01

Can someone please help me? I have a walnut antique dining room set, late 1800's. It has one long hutch, a server, table/chairs and a tall china cabinet with scrolling on the glass doors. The wood is quite dark on the outside but inside the cabinet, it is lighter. Last year I thought I would try cleaning it with a bit of Murphy's oil soap and noticed that it was getting lighter but kind of panicked when I thought I was taking the finish off. So, I stopped cleaning it. Now there is an area with a lighter spot where I cleaned it. I also noticed that when cleaning it, it felt kind of "sticky/gummy" I'm not sure if it's dirt and grime or if it is the finish that I'm removing. Now, I don't know what to do. The set has no shine at all and on the large hutch, I can see some flaking. I'd also like to know what I can do with that. I want to restore the entire set "naturally" I would appreciate anyone's "professional" advice. Thanks kindly, Diane

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.