| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: refinishing oak top

Posted By: James Schooley <jschooleyfamily@earthlink.net> (pmspen1-49.rconnect.com)
Date: 9/30/2 01:17

In Response To: refinishing oak top (james duke)

I think that if these bare spots are small, say the size of a quarter or less, I would try to soften the remaining finish and flow it over the bare spots. I think you will find that the finish, if it is before 1930 and is a factory finish, is actually shellac. Varnish was used on floors and for boats and exterior surfaces. Anyway test it with a little alcohol on a cotton ball in some out of the way spot. Wet the cotton with alcohol and rub it on some of the finish for a moment. If the finish is shellac, it will stick, if varnish, it will not. You can try one of the furniture refinishers sold in stores, but I have had good results with alcohol thinned shellac. Get an old finished piece of woodwork or a cheep piece of furniture to practice on, since you will need to get the feel of this before you try it on an antique. Clean the surface with paint thinner very throughly and sand lightly with 320 grit sand paper. Wipe off all dust. Brush fresh shellac, thinned to 50-50 with painters alcohol, lightly over the entire surface. Allow to stand for 2 minutes, brush some of the surrounding finish over the bare spots to smooth the transition and help it deminish. Smooth this out with the brush tip and allow to dry. Repeat if needed. When you are satisfied with the results buff with 0000 steel wool and wax.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.