| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

1920s stroller

Posted By: Terry Proctor <tproctor@alphanumeric.com> (216-187-225-239.dsl.btitelecom.net)
Date: 9/18/2 16:28

I have an old "doll size" stroller my mother received for her 1st birthday in 1922. She received an iron doll size bed along with it, and says there is a chance that these could be Salesman's Samples of a "real" baby stroller, and iron bed, as her father worked for a furniture company at the time. I'm inclined to agree because in my search of the internet for 1920s doll strollers I found nothing that looked close to this one. Construction is a metal frame with wicker body. Size is 20" high including handle - 13 1/2" deep from front to back - seat is about 6" square, and the front slopes/curves down for the feet. I'd be interested to know if anyone has any history on this type of stroller, but my main interest is in trying to find replacement wheels. My mother says the original wheels were open wire spoke wheels. She says they wore out and were replaced years ago with the solid metal wheels with narrow rubber tires that are on it now. These wheels are worn but appear to have been somewhere around 5 1/8" to 5 1/4" in diameter. The scale looks right, so I think the original wheels were close to the same size. The axels are 1/4" in diameter. There is approximately 1 3/4" between the hole in the axel that the cotter pin goes in and the body of the stroller. So the wheels could be as much as 1 1/2" thick and still have room to turn freely, if that makes sense ! My mother would like to find replacement wheels as similar to original as possible. She would like to pass this stroller and bed down to her great grand-daughter (my grand-daughter)- and is hoping to find wheels before Christmas ! Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.