| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Replacing "leather" seats on oak chairs

Posted By: Lee <flsimons@shaw.ca> (px2ht.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: 9/7/2 14:52

Hello,

I hope someone can offer advice for a little side-project I have going. I have two oak chairs, not valuable, just old kitchen-style chairs (maybe they were office chairs?) that have a sort of leather-like nahgahyde covering on the seats. I don't know if this was the original seat covering or not, but it's got to be replaced regardless. They are not drop-in seats, rather the upholstery material is tacked onto the seat with metal tacks and there is a narrow strip of reinforcing nahgahyde running around the edge directly under the tacks. I haven't taken the stuff off the seats yet, because I don't know what to expect to find, structurally speaking. It looks like the seat area is perhaps just a board with this leather-like covering. My question is this--since I want to re-cover the seat area, can I just remove what's there, make a new cover, and re-tack back into the same holes made by the old tacks? Is there a technique for this job that I should be looking up (I can do the seat covers, no problem--it's just the installation of them that I would be unsure about. Thanks for your help and advice...

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.