| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Old money.. Wooden Board

Posted By: Peter Dale <PeteandDawnie@aol.com> (cache-rc05.proxy.aol.com)
Date: 9/5/2 17:21

In Response To: Old money.. Wooden Board (Billie)

Billie, If the money on the board is really "old Money" chances are you'll never remove them and clean them sufficiently to have a bill in collectable condition. Try a test , take a needle and scratch the surface away from the money area. If the surface feels brittle or hard and if the scratch shows a visibal line (perhaps even a little white'sh ) then the surface has been "Decoupaged" or painted over with a Lacquer or shellac . So the money undernearth this finish is not retriveable. On the positive side, "Decoupaging) was a hot craft over the last 20-25 years and chances are some one used reproduction money(in packets that you buy at museums) that cost $1 or $2 at the most and then "decoupaged" them on wood to make them look real. Fake Confederate money has been around since the civil war. If the money was real , chances are it would not be worth much more than it is in its present condition on the wood. I have a small collection of this kind of money and thats what I'am basing my coments on. I suggest you enjoy it the way it is or make a gift of it to someone who would appreciate it . Good Luck Peter Dale

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.