| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Mahogany dining room furnit- Restoration

Posted By: Randy McInnis <rmci@comporium.net> (cablemd-pool-5-143.r01.scrchl.infoave.net)
Date: 9/3/2 10:04

I've inherited my grandmothers mahogany dinning room furniture. I'm guessing its vintage 1930-1950's. I would like to clean it thoroughly and restore it as best as possible. The finish appears to not be or was never "shiny" as a poly finish is these days. ON the table and buffet, there are many surface scratches that show the "white" of the wood; although most are not very deep, but some are. What is best cleaner and "polish" to remove and fill-in the scratches? Is the old-english dye polish acceptable? On one or two legs of the chairs, at the feet, the wood seems a little soft. Any suggestions? The leggs of table and chairs are really beat up with "white" wood exposed....how to stain this to match original finish Also, on the bottoms of all furniture feet, there are the "buttons" attached and most are rusting. Should I sand with steel wool and leave on, or replace them with new nylon ones, or take off and keep off? How does this affect "antique" value? Next, on the china cabinet- there seems to be a some spider webbing of the finish......IS there a way to restore this finish? Should it be just cleaned and left alone?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.