| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Dining room table finish

Posted By: Hope <talbright@att.net> (12.atlanta-28-29rs.ga.dial-access.att.net)
Date: 8/9/2 14:57

My goodness, this Minswax Antique Oil was difficult to find. I went to five stores, finally called the Minwax Company and they directed me to another warehouse. From speaking with the techs at Minwax, I am led to believe that this is basically a varnish with a little linseed oil. I am led to believe that it is very easy to apply - do you have any pointers in this area? They also said that their Tung Oil Finish is the same product with tung oil substituted for the linseed. The tech seemed to prefer the tung oil. What would you consider the difference to be between the two products? Are these two oils which basically do the same thing or do they really have different properties?

Now, if I use this MAO finish, they told me that I would not use wax over it - or rather that I could, but it would not make much of a difference as far as the finish was concerned and would be subject to breakdown and buildup, thus obscuring the finish. Is this correct? What sort of finish does the MAO produce? Do you need to reapply it once a year?

When you are stating the old adage, once a day for a week, once a week for a month, ect. to what are you referring? Would this be for a basic oil application, such as Boiled Linseed Oil, or are you meaning the wax that is used after the oil?

Sorry about all of the questions, but through the refinishing of this table, I have discovered a whole new world which I find endlessly fascinating

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.