| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Dining room table finish

Posted By: Hope <talbright@att.net> (226.atlanta-28-29rs.ga.dial-access.att.net)
Date: 8/8/2 08:25

I am refinishing the top of a mahogany dining room table. Of course, I do not know what I am doing, but am hoping that I have followed the correct steps from this forum. I have stripped the old finish (which was quite a long process itself), sanded lightly and have started applying Boiled Linseed Oil and Tung Oil. I tried the Watco Danish Oil, but it didn't seem to produce as lustrous a finish as the others. How many layers of the BLO should I apply? Over the last two weeks, I have applied about ten layers, allowing drying time in between each coat. I also rubbed each coat into the wood as you have recommended. I have two tins of rub-on Poly that I will be returning - thank you, thank you for that save My professional woodworkers retail store had told me that these were definitely needed. How horrible I would have felt if I had gone through all of this work to have an avoidable error at this point.

What is my next step? How many coats of the BLO should I apply? Should I use a paste wax next? Don't I need to apply BLO again in the future? Will the BLO penetrate the paste wax? What about the shellac/varnish finish? Is it necessary, or will the wax/oil mixture suffice? Jim, did you not state in an earlier post that you have a table that only has the oil finish (didn't you say the BLO was a Long Oil?) and you have been happy with it? Should I investigate and consider this French Polish technique that some have mentioned?

Thank all of you that are posting to help the novice and the expert alike, for you are doing a great service. I especially must compliment Jim for having the patience of a saint and and extremely good nature in the face of repetitive questions. You have truly opened my eyes to a different form of preserving wood.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.