| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Filling pores on mahogony table

Posted By: Steve VanderMeer <svandermeer@hometownconnections.com> (slip-32-102-169-189.co.us.prserv.net)
Date: 7/26/2 15:24

I have a mohagony Duncan Fife dining room set whose table top color suffered from years exposed to the sun. In refinishing, I was advised by my local finishing supply store to use tung oil for the finish. There's no doubt it looks nice, but the look is an open pore, more informal look while the rest of the dining room set is a high gloss, closed pore look. Repeated coats of tung oil haven't helped much.

I'm thinking I need to stop adding coats of tung oil and figure out a way to fill the pores, depite the presence of the tung oil. Somone has suggested paste wax, but my experience with it is that it leaves a more satin finish. Someone else suggested shellac over the tung oil, but I'm a shellac rookie. Wood filler has also been discussed, but I've never worked with it, and I've always thought it was used on raw wood.

Any thoughts on how to achieve a glossy, filled pore look without restripping and starting over would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Steve

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.