| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: removing crazy glue from porcelain doll

Posted By: Peter Dale <PeteandDawnie@aol.com> (cache-mtc-ab06.proxy.aol.com)
Date: 7/26/2 11:47

In Response To: removing crazy glue from porcelain doll (diane brown)

Diane , You didn't mention if the doll has hair or if her features are painted on "cold"( meaning the paint is put on after the firing process and comes off when cleaning). Assuming no hair/ wig and no cold paint, then using precautions listed on the can , gloves etc. get a can of MEK (Methyl Ethyl keytone) from Home depot / Lowes/hardware store ,using a porcelain or glass container pour in enough to cover the head. Don't breath this stuff , its really nasty. Cover the container with what ever you have, tin foil will do. You may even be able to use a plastic container that is chemical resistant from the automotive dept. Let the head soak for several hrs even a day or two. Then carefully pry it apart perhaps with fingers in the neck hole (if that was broken also).MEK will soften the glue but pulling on the head will encourage faster action. If you are afraid to put pressure on it then just let the MEK work on it for a few days , checking every once in awhile also to add a little more as it does evaporate. After the head falls apart, besure to clean off all traces off glue using a magnifier and a hobby razor knife. Try not to scratch the surface with the knife as it may leave "pencil type marks " that will need to be errased. With a little luck you can put this together with a "light curing " glue made by Duro/ Loctite. When you get to that stage send me an EMail or give me a call at513-897 2665. My advice is really geared more toward a Pro- Restorer and you may not want to under take my suggestions . In any case ,Good Luck Peter Dale

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.