| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: removing crazy glue from porcelain doll

Posted By: James Schooley <jschooleyfamily@earthlink.net> (pmspen1-85.rconnect.com)
Date: 7/26/2 01:59

In Response To: removing crazy glue from porcelain doll (diane brown)

You have entered a world of extrems! I cannot recomend an adhesive that is nonreversable such as superglue or epoxy. There is a remote possibility that the adhesive can still be softened, but only because the porcelain is chemically resistant to some degree, and that may save you here. I have had good luck removing C.A. type glues (superglue) with methanol, but not so well when it has cured, such as would be the case after one hour. Try wraping the area with a strip of cloth and soaking it with the methanol (found in model airplane fuel)for an hour. If that does no good try warming the area with very hot water or steam. Next repeat the cloth and methanol soak, possibly the heat will excite the polymers and allow the chemicals to intermingle. If nothing seems to be working time and UV rays will weaken the glue, is sounds crazy but over time the glue will age and the sun will speed the process along. Sorry I can't be of more help but these repairs are tricky, if one must do them with poly resin glue use a slow two part epoxy that will give you longer to position the peices. T88 from Systems West is what I use, and then only as a last resort. Gool luck, Jim.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.