| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Limed 1950s Furniture

Posted By: James Schooley <jschooleyfamily@earthlink.net> (pmspen1-127.rconnect.com)
Date: 7/24/2 02:42

In Response To: Re: Limed 1950s Furniture (Jim Cole)

A word of warning, a lot of that stuff had a plaster of paris grain filler on red oak. It can be refinished but it requires a lot of wire brushing with a soft brass brush and alcohol rinse. Then the grain will be rough and very very open so a new filler is nessecary. Restoration of the old finish can be done but I would test to see if a recoat of new lacquer is possible. make any repairs then after a through cleaning, light sand, start with a dewaxer to remove any remaining wax. Next you could apply new coats of lacquer sealer and lacquer top coat. I think some color would be lost and a matching glaze would have to be mixed and brushed on between coats. A sprayer is best for this process, but brusable lacquer is being sold and you can make your own by adding a table spoon of boiled linseed oil to a quart of lacquer. I did a whole dining room set of six chairs, large drop leaf table, hutch and buffet. It was the worst refinshing experience of my life, I hope I never do one again. If that isn't what you were asking let me know, I have a few other tecniques.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.