| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Remove Paint from Antigue Clocks

Posted By: James Schooley <jschooleyfamily@earthlink.net> (pmspen1-31.rconnect.com)
Date: 7/9/2 23:44

In Response To: Re: Remove Paint from Antigue Clocks (skeet)

One trick that works well on small oil base painted items is to put them into a close fitting box with a container of lacquer thinner and zylene. Close up the box and let the fumes soften the outer layer of paint for a few hours. Check every so often till you feel the fumes have softened the outer layer of paint. Remove and gently rub off one layer with a soft rubber spatula and some steel wool. repeat until you reach the original finish stop and let it dry for a day. Lightly sand off any remaining paint with 1000 grit wet dry sand paper and apply a similar top coat of finish. But I would suggest most people should take such items to a professional restorer, some one who is trained to restore art pieces. The process is very delicate, if one wants to try this process get a worthless object to experiment on. If you can't get the hang of it don't try it on the family heirloom. And trust me I have been refinishing and restoring for over thirty years, your generation painted more antiques than the younger generation will ever see.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.