| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Antique Chinese Cabinet

Posted By: Jim Schooley <jschooleyfamily@earthlink.net> (pmspen1-99.rconnect.com)
Date: 7/8/2 22:24

In Response To: Antique Chinese Cabinet (Randy Moory)

If what you say is modern lacquer and you wish to refinish, you may want to patch the wood with veneer from similar matching grained woods. If what you have is an antique finish then I would suggest using a shellac stick burn-in repair for the missing surface parts and french polish over all, provided the tin hardware can be safely removed and replaced.

I patch wood with a 'v' shaped template so that the cuts do not cross the grain so severly that they are easily noticable, this results in diamond and triangle duchmans. Some parches must be from thicker wood than veneer and then I use a router and collar setup that when a template of 1/4" masonite is used, the patch is a perfect fit. The collar matches the thickness of the cutting bit so that after some design consideration is made that will avoid acute angles, the only thing between you and a perfect match is locating the right grain. Make sure to wet the damaged area and the patch material with alcohol before making your final choice. This will give you a better picture of how the woods may compare when finshed. Notice that when wet, and you rotate the patch wood in good light that the reflective charecter will change? That is the opalescence factor of light entering and bouncing back out of the grain of the wood, if you intend to capture the beauty of the smooth thick lacquer the Chinese were so good at, then you will need to make flawless repairs to the wood. In order to do that your final selection should change from dark to light in the same manner as the surronding areas, as the are rotated together. Hope this is not confuseing, good luck, let me know how this works out, Jim.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.