| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Spruce finishing repair

Posted By: Mike <mmillermrpjd@netscape.net> (dialup-64.156.228.36.Dial1.SanFrancisco1.Level3.net)
Date: 7/5/2 16:04

I have some wood platters (I know this is not "furniture" but you might be able to assist) made of Sitka Spruce in the 1940s by a company that manufactured airplane parts and musical instruments. My grandmother hand-designed and decorated them with hammered copper edging. I can pretty much take care of the dirt on the copper without disturbing the patina, but I'd like to clean the wood finish, which is pretty sloppy and a bit scratched.

I suspect they're lacquered(?) and not stained at all. What's the best way to clean off the surface, and how can I be sure I know what it is? I can use very fine sandpaper to get rid of surface scratches in the wood (q. what grit?) What's the best resurfacing? I don't think these wood platters will need to be food-proof, but they probably don't need to be toxic. NO POLYURETHANE.

Thanks. Mike Miller

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.