| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Newbie mistake-wrong filler for worm damage!

Posted By: lee of the limberlost <flsimons@shaw.ca> (px2ht.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: 6/30/2 21:01

Hello,

I hope there is someone who might be able to offer a suggestion or two--I have made a nasty beginner's mistake and find that I am so far unable to fix it.

First, I didn't know that stain would not "take" on any wood filler that I used--although, in retro, I can now see why it comes in colours. ANyway, I shudder as I type this--I filled LOTS and LOTS of worm/insect damage on one side of this thing, my first piece, with (horrors!) white cellulose filler.

When I tried to stain it, of course it wouldn't take the stain. I tried painting it with a fine brush and acrylic paint mixed to the colour of the stain but that doesn't work very well (it isn't smooth really). So I carefully picked out as much of the white as I could and re-did it with a colour matched product. Well, guess what? I have most of the worm tracks and holes filled but after sanding away the excess wood filler, I have the smudge marks left where I'd applied it. They don't want to sand out either.

Help, I'm going to end up with a matchstick for a piece of furniture. Will the stain cover this awful thing that I've done. I won't ask if anyone has had experience with this because I doubt that anyone else would be so DOHHH. I'm having fits about this.

Any and all suggestions very much appreciated.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.